Immortalizing Memories

Wednesday 20 September 2017

Solo Trippin' Thoughts


If it's not because of time restraint, I guess I would have either blog or write a complete diary everyday. I do it occasionally, for big matters in my life. Even things that are disturbing, I have them written down. Bad things aren't that bad after all. If God gives you challenges in life, I think we should just embrace them with an open heart. After all, it's you who decide what's the end product of the bad things that happened in life; either they make you feeling miserable; or stronger. Either they are a huge wave that put out the flame in you; or they are a combustion material to your burning motivation. For things you can't change, just let it be.

Be kind, be useful, be fearless.

-------------------------------------------------------------

My childhood favourite carousel

The most beautiful thing about travelling might not be just the beach with people frolicking with the seawater, might not be the impressively designed church; nor the magnificent panoramic view of the entire city. Yes, I feel the excitement eventhough I was just flying over rome; to see the beautiful city litted up in the night sky. Like jewels, organised on the land; like broken pieces of the kaleidoscope scattering over beneath us. It was just a brief view, touching down at the city that I still want to visit one day; the desert that we see from up, so magical and real. Touching down at night at a temperature of 33 degree Celsius and can't helped feeling suffocated until getting inside the transfer bus. Those are just a brief picture that I can barely remember, that's where the camera's contribution comes in. Yet, there are still some things that will still be deeply planted in your mind and heart, that the camera will not come into use, nor any technology gadget could do, yet.

Left: At Tilidabo Cathedral ; Right: Sagrada Familia (with my green tag) 

How did everything started was still a mystery to me; somehow a conversation just strike between you and a stranger who is sitting right next to you. It might be because of a book, or just something in common that you have with them. We had almost the same collection of book; most of them of same genre. We could moved on from books to our personal problems to realise, we are not the worst after all. Touching down at the airport knowing that our next flight is about to depart soon, the stranger told me that he would wait for me there at the boarding gate since we were from different lane for security and keep assuring me that we wouldn't get left out by the flight. We made it to the gate, at last. After landing at the destination, we never meet anymore.

Left: Messy room; Right: Cathedral look

It was a transit. I didn't get my proper boarding pass, and I was on board. And the thing was, I needed a proper one. I was forbidden to go back to ask for my proper boarding pass until I met her. She was from Tunisia, she asked me to follow her out. But the flight was going to take off... so she said "Don't worry, I'm the manager there they wouldn't fly without me." and she got the ticket for me.

Left: Barcelonata Beach; Right: One day, I will marry Gelato and get fat

On the flight to Abu Dhabi, Sfen and I talked about travelling, on how much he'd love asia countries. The food were amazing, he said. But the funny thing is that he couldn't remember the names. Only by description; "Ahhh at Singapore, the yellow noodle soup was too good!". Being a german himself, he knew a little Spanish, somehow. We were studying about some words in Spanish. We came to know Grace who was sitting there as well. We talked about almost everything; from ambulances in our own countries to the dates you can pluck for free in Abu Dhabi. Sfen said I should ski at some mountain in Spain. But, time is short you know buddy. So he said, "So, you should travel at a speed of light." followed by a laughter. We talked about the itinerary I had; a map scrawled on a crumbled paper. "It's great, at least you have a plan!". I doubted I could make it to so many places in a day, and I wish I could tell him that.. I actually made it all in a day.

Left: La Pedrera; Right: It's my index finger, mind you. Pointing at Sagrada Familia

En route to Madrid, Sue told me; He's already smiling from the sky and mama's already proud. I kept my fingers crossed. I just knew whenever, however, whatever it is; just pray for the best and prepare for the worst. These are pure magical friendship. They were brief but unforgettable ones. If it's genuine, your instinct could definitely tell.

Left: At Real Madrid. What is football? Right: Gelato

Don't talk to strangers

Your best companion along your journey will be your instinct. When you travel alone, be alert no matter wherever you are. Eventhough serious crime rates are relatively low in Europe, don't let your guards down. Use and believe your instincts. Keep your valuables in view all the time! Petty crimes are prevalent and pickpockets are everywhere; you should be vigilant, ALWAYS. But I'm not saying that you should totally avoid the people because without them, your travel journey lacks something; like a donut without the sprinkles; like wanton mee without wanton. Ok whatever the metaphor, you get me, right? right?

Left: Casa Batlo; Right: Sibeh sunny

Going back to the topic. Don't talk to strangers. Really? Well.. now my perfect plan failed me; the map I got there became a whole new knowledge to me and I needed some time to digest it; I was going to the city center to get my phone and internet card so I was completely out of reach from the world, even from my family. Nobody I approach knew English until..

"Perdon, could you speak English?". As I was embracing the answer "No ingles.. no ingles", he said "Ah a little. How can I help you?". Much to my delight, he taught me how to get to the city centre.

Take the blue line. Line 10

And the rest, I start figuring it myself. We reached the same station and bid our goodbyes. Don't talk to strangers? I would say use your instincts, again. Just don't betray it. I loitered around puerta del sol for 2 hours because the phone card shop was down on system. So basically, it means that I have to wander around without connection to the world. For the first time, the freedom is real. No messages popping up and demanding your immediate attention and stress (*clears throat* further explanation needed). It was just all yourself. Things happened and I needed a real break from nuisance, I guess. It's gonna be dumb to keep everything to yourself and the best way to relieve your stress is, get disconnected.

# Tips on travelling budget #
Bring your own instant breakfast and some light snacks

Eating instant mee for the first time, after so many years


My stomach was rumbling, or it has been rumbling like forever since I landed. I decided to get to my itinerary straight; My churros! I began looking up at the map and asking around too. With a little basic English, I asked for the direction for "Chocolateria San Gines". The huge guy has his expression litted, and I was delighted coz I thought I got my message across! Yessss!

Ahhhh Toilet? Downstairs.

I was crestfallen. Hah wait perhaps that's not the right word. I expected that as well to happened. Just a little facepalmed. But he was really ready to help, I thanked him and left. And in the end, I managed to made it to the churros place through the labyrinth-like old city and ate like a happy small girl.

I got to the wrong bus. But eventhough it wandered far from where I'm suppose to get off already, I still felt chill (and by right you shouldn't feel chill at all). Coz it's gonna send you to another place far from where your hotel is and when you communicate with the locals like a hen and duckling, you're most probably gonna get stranded at some place and sleep at the roadside for the night. I went to the driver and start communicating in the least complex way; showing him my hotel address and asking if it's gonna pass by there. And the next thing I knew, his lips were brimming out words I can't comprehend at all; fluent Spanish  with his finger pointing to the outside, showing direction here and there. I'm thinking he was saying I should take a different bus line and how to get to the station. I looked at him helplessly, and all I could say was "no comprehend no comprehend.. hahahah" waving my hands. It was a hilarious, or pathetic sight. I can't decide but I felt it was funny coz he couldn't understand what I was saying too. Both of us are just as clueless.

Left a rose for the victims of Las Ramblas

In the end, instead of asking me to change the bus line, he managed to google translate what he was trying to say,"Don't worry, I will get you back. When it's there I will let you know". I was still doubting whether was that message he showed me translated accurately. How could he send me back when the line is totally not going to cross my place? I sat back to the place and began observing every station the bus got to. When I was trying to approach the others, he waved at me akin telling me there's no need to do that. So I stayed in that rocking bus and studying the views outside; the busy people of Madrid carrying out their life everyday; it's the same, just like back in my hometown. People, well-groomed were bearing kindle in their hands while waiting in the bus; carrying a suitcase in one hand, another on the grip and having headsets over their ears blaring Despacito, a song that once annoyed me coz it's everywhereeeee and now I can't forget the song. It became an important song to me now, a song that evokes back all the good memories to me. Hah.

Friends at Ventas

So in the end, I started to recognise the familiar place; the place where I always passed by to my hotel. The driver signalled me that we were gonna reach, and before turning into the road to my place, he placed his index finger to his lips, signalling me that it was not the right line that he was suppose to take! Like a bad schoolboy planning to do something that is against the school rules. I stifled a laugh and nodded lightly. It was funny, and I was praying it wasn't going to get him into trouble. Before I got down, I thanked him in Spanish. We waved goodbye and we never met again, even on other bus trips.

On the other day, as if one time of taking the wrong bus wasn't enough, I took the right bus but for this time, I missed my stop. *Facepalm-i-know*. Dusk was falling and I got  a little worried. I approached a few people on the bus and to my disappointment, none of them could communicate in english. Google translate failed me from the poor data connection. Judging the pathetic internet speed (cheapest package I bought, sorrry lor), generating one sentence would bring me to a few more stops further. I could just get down the next stop and take the opposite line but knowing that I didn't know much about the area I'm getting down especially at night, at least getting a little information from the bus riders would be a safer resort. At last, I met a kind chinese girl who could speak both mandarin and a fluent spanish. She  told me my place is around 2 stops away walked me back to my place. A little friendship just sparked within us and I'm glad we could still keep in touch till now.

Left: Study and free-food hunting partner; Right: Waiting for the bus

There's another communication that requires no language, that's the heart. The genuine intention and willingness of helping. What I would give to have another opportunity to travel, or I'd prefer to call it a soul-therapy. I have more stories to tell, I bet I will tell it as long as Scheherazade (no hahah). But here are just some snippets of it that I managed to write. It's part of my experience that I will be glad to share them, and hopefully might be beneficial to the readers who have plan of travelling solo too. Pray to be able to write more during my idle time. To be continued and let me know what you think, good or bad ;) Ending my post with gratitude to the good Samaritans that I had chance to know and may god bless them, always. To my parents, I will be fine through the challenges I will never let you down.

Signing off.
S.Y



No comments:

Post a Comment